Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Cut off and ready for its close up!



Phoenix has flown... from the loom, at least.

I cut it off on Sunday night...






... and here it is, 60" wide x 30" high:




Next step will be getting it professionally photographed by Tim Barnwell.  I'll tuck the ends back and hide them with masking tape for that.  I'll do the final finishing work while at the Penland class, using the piece to demonstrate the steps I go through for that.

Here it is hanging on the wall of my studio, photo taken with iPhone:


Tim's photography will show the colors much better.

Now... in the few weeks that remain before the Penland concentration class I'll be working on the tapestry diary each day.  I'm also doing some sampling for methods I'll be showing at Penland.  Right now I have a weft-faced piece underway on the floor loom and I hope to finish it by the end of the week.  I'll post about that once it's off the loom.





Sunday, February 19, 2017

Image is woven!


Now to weave the turn-back.  I'll do that today and cut the tapestry off tonight.  It's still hard to photograph while on the loom since I can't stand far enough back to easily include it all.  Also, about four or five inches are rolled under so I'm not able to show the whole piece yet.


More photos to come once I've cut it off and hung it up to see it all.  This tapestry has been quite a journey for me.  It's changed more in the process of making it than any that I've ever done.  I'll write more about that later. 



Monday, February 6, 2017

Days remain... I think!



I'm inching up toward the red line on the cartoon that marks the end of the tapestry. 


My loom is in a position that makes it hard to stand back far enough in front of it to get a photograph of the whole width at once... this one leaves out an inch or so at each side.

The camera also gets confused by the value differences between the white paper of the cartoon at the top and the dark and medium-dark values of the colors below.  So it's been very hard to capture the richness and depth of the color accurately while the piece is in progress. 

My original plan was to hang it turned 90˚ from the direction I'm weaving it but I'm now thinking that this direction, as the image travels up the warp, will be best.  The image is quite abstracted, based on leaf litter and then burned and charred forest floor so any direction would be fine, I guess.  Whatever seems to work best for the composition when I'm done will be what I choose.  I'll have to get it off the loom, pin it up and look at it before I can decide.

Onward and upward!

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Tapestry Share--new post at that blog


Fresh starts for a new year.  Among my fresh starts is to take a look at my other blog, Tapestry Share, and realize there hasn't been a new post added to it since last June!  Thank you, Terri Bryson, for doing that one.  I've added an update today and hope to be more attentive to it for 2017.  Any of you other blog authors to Tapestry Share, including Terri... jump in with ideas and comments, as you will.

My current large tapestry is coming along... I'm within just a few inches of the top now.  My goal of cutting it off by the end of the month may truly be reached.  But only if I get to the studio and start weaving on it.

Here's what I'll be doing today... heading there now!